Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Lyn Boyer
    Participant

It is important for women to share their stories of triumph, sorrow, and support. As I reflect on my own story, I realize that it is most often told by those around me. I write it every day in how I treat members of my family, how I respond to colleagues and clients, and how I live my life. I will write more as we progress on our Studio journey, but for today my life is filled with gratitude.

The opportunity to live in our family compound and to see my family every day brings me great joy. Working from home with my friends on projects that are important to me nourishes my spirit. The chance to travel and spend time with my husband, family and friends energizes me.

Life was not always so good, but I have always been fortunate. I was born and lived my early life in Tennessee. My parents often struggled financially, but we shared a lot of love and laughter.  My two brothers and I had excellent role models. When I moved to Florida and married my husband, I found a companion who supported and encouraged me. He is also an excellent cook. We have both worked hard and have been blessed with good health, outstanding opportunities and a wonderful son who makes us proud every day. My goal now is to give back so that other women can have similar opportunities.

I will share two links that tell a little more about who I am. My Pikto-Story can be found at http://www.lynboyer.net/?page_id=1870. I designed this as I learned to use Piktochart, a wonderful tool. My story of emotional healing, one of those times that was not so good, can be found on my blog at http://www.lynboyer.net/?p=1315. I hope you will check out both of them.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by  Lisa Levinson.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by  Lisa Levinson.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  Lisa Levinson.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  Lyn Boyer.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  Lisa Levinson.

Hi Lyn,

You are so right in saying that your story is being built as you live it. Your intense story of the football coach touched me very much. I felt my stomach knotting in anger and disbelief when the superintendent reversed his public stance. Coward! (Had to say it!)

I also agreed with your conclusion “the essence of healing is gratitude. A conscious choice to forgive is important, but it was the gratitude for friends, family and the experience that ultimately helped me to move forward and to thrive.” When things have been difficult for me, my family and friends have helped me come through quagmires with their love. And when horrible things happen to people, I have learned to look for the love of first responders, helpers of all kinds, to rush in and provide comfort and assistance.

Perhaps because I am so analytical, I try to learn from every experience which insulates me somewhat from the heartache I might feel too intensely otherwise. Glad that you had a coach to help you move beyond that situation and go on to achieve and be happy elsewhere in your work.

Here is my story video, 3 minutes long. It takes a different approach that I hope informs and entertains.  Hope you all like it. The password to see it is wlstudio

I would like to see and hear the stories of other Studio members.  Please pile in here and share your story and glean learning from what others tell about their lives, too.

Lisa Levinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for showing us your story in such a clear, visual way Doris! I enjoyed seeing your photos, knowing your life themes, and your passion for dogs, food, learning, and social justice. Have you influenced your niece? Has she become involved in social justice issues and work?

Lyn Boyer
    Participant

Doris, I loved seeing and hearing your wonderful story. It brought a tear to my eye and a better understanding of someone I respect and admire. What a beautiful and creative way to tell your story!

@ Lyn and Lisa

Yes, Sarah has been influenced by many in her life–including her mother and me–to try to make wrong things right.  She is an attorney in DC hoping to work for the US State Department in places around the world.  She has a great future ahead of her.  I am very proud of her and sometimes wonder how lucky I was to score a relative like Sarah.

Thanks for the feedback on my video.  Personal disclosure is a tricky balancing act for me.  But I decided that with a password and certain other restrictions on its export and downloading, I would share who I am with Women’s Learning Studio friends and associates.  The reflection that went into the video affirmed who I am and what I do.  And the building of it reminded me how much there is yet to learn about designing, editing, and composing video and audio.  Learning is alternately frustrating and wonderful!

Lisa Levinson
    Keymaster

Like Lyn and Doris, I rely on the teachings and learnings of everyone and everything around me to influence today’s and tomorrow’s story.

I have always been an independent, curious person, even as a child. I know part of that is the way my genes are arrayed on my chromosomes, but the environmental influences on my growth and development surely had just as much to do with it as biology.

I cannot tell my story without telling the stories of my family, friends, mentors. All of these people have played a part in my being me. They are the environmental influences that have mattered.

Since I don’t have enough time or room to mention everyone, here are my immediate family influencers and what they taught me:

My grandparents: how to make someone feel special and loved. They spoiled me just enough but not too much!

My Dad: to believe in the “power of one” to make a difference, and see the good in people. He also had a wonderful sense of humor, and I get my love of laughter from him too.

My Mom: to strive to be better in what ever I do, be respectful of everyone, and talk to the person at the top as well as the person who sweeps the floor. She also taught me how to be a professional woman and a life long learner (she had 3 masters degrees!).

My brother: be adventurous. He traveled the world for 3 years, without an itinerary just going where the travel bug bit him. He showed me that taking a risk and just going for it can lead to great rewards (like the Studio!).

My sister: the beauty of a logical argument and well thought out plan or action, and how to be a steady influence in the lives of others. She and I cook our memories when we are together, spending time in the kitchen. Our connection is extremely important to me, and I cannot imagine my life without it.

My brother-in-law: pursue a vision and passion through a set methodology. He is a research scientist who has tried many paths in his research using data to guide his way.

My nieces: the joy of seeing people you love grow up and become their own people. They continue to teach me this.

My dogs: like Doris, our series of dogs have taught me about unconditional love, unbearable loss, unmitigated joy, single-minded focus, and the necessity of hugs and kisses!

My husband: last but not in any way least, he has taught me to lighten up, be more spontaneous, feel not just think. He accepts and loves me for me, foibles and all. He has taught me to go deep into the woods and not be afraid, to navigate using a GPS, to shoot, and together we have learned to ski, snow shoe, fish and enjoy the quiet of our lives. He still makes me laugh more than anyone I know. He has taught me about commitment, love, companionship, friendship, and at times, the art of disagreement.

So what is my story? It is all these stories and more rolled into me. As I get older, these are the stories that shape my life and how I want to live it. I am still incorporating all these teachings, still trying to emulate my teachers, and am meeting new teachers as I go.

I have started a Voice Thread (voicethread.com) with pictures of my family and have commented further about what I wrote here (just click on my picture at the left side of the pictures to hear my commentary). Yes, more technology to learn and use! You can add your commentary about what I have said or please add your story to mine. You can add a video or audio file, or write a text message. Let’s use the Voice Thread as a running story book of all our stories. Join in!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  Lisa Levinson.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  Lisa Levinson.

Lyn Boyer
    Participant

Lisa, Thank you for a beautiful story. In talking about the people who have influenced you the most, you have told your own story about what is important to you and who had helped to make you who you are. Your willingness to learn from each of them has made you the creative, curious, adventurous and capable person you are today. Thanks, also, for introducing and producing a wonderful voicethread. It is not only a very valuable tool, it is also fun.

Brenda Kaulback
    Participant

Great video, Doris. I loved seeing about your life and your great themes! Especially the dogs.

Brenda Kaulback
    Participant

Wow, Lisa, your mom had three master’s degrees? What a role model!

Brenda Kaulback
    Participant

Not sure my posts are going to the right place – they all seem to end up at the end rather than after the post I am replying to… Nevertheless, for now..

Lyn, What a poignant story your healing story is. I loved most that you were open to sharing it. How many of us (including myself) have stories like this that have molded us and that we keep tucked away without examining. I applaud your bravery. Thanks. I bet you were a great principal. I have put on my to do list to go back and explore some of my similar stories in more detail. I do this now with a group of women who do proprioceptive writing. We meet monthly and do proprioceptive writes together. Having read your story of healing brought up several issues that I plan to explore in my writing. Thanks again.

Lyn Boyer
    Participant

Brenda, Thank you for your comments about my story. That and other experiences have shaped my passions and how I look at the world. I hope they have mellowed me and also made me stronger. Your writing group sounds wonderful. I would like to learn more about it when you have time. Thanks again for participating in our beta test. Your thoughts and ideas will help us to make it better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.